Job Title: Major Project Surveyor
Location: In and around London
Salary: Competitive. All roles in the London region are subject to an additional monthly regional allowance.
To provide site inspection and technical building and construction expertise relating to the risk management of large and higher risk construction sites registered with the MDIS Warranty schemes.
Assisting the Major Projects National Surveying Manager in effective and efficient management of larger, high rise and/or complex projects in a defined geographical area.
Overview of Responsibilities
Duties of the post include, but are not limited to:
- Primarily inspecting HVS, Special Acceptance and 7+ storey projects (and occasionally other complex schemes). In some locations (dependant upon order numbers), also risk managing the full range of projects being constructed and/or converted, working closely with builders to ensure as far as is reasonably possible the works are in accordance with the Technical Manual and Building Regulations.
- Assist the Major Projects National Surveying Manager in ensuring adequate and appropriate levels of inspection are undertaken, providing reporting information and customer concerns/issues.
- Reviewing 7+ storey projects in conjunction with MDWSS Project Management team as well as larger high rise and/or complex category, to achieve above and assisting in the decisions to utilise specialist contractors for particular areas of risk. Undertaking the referral to specialist contractors when agreed necessary and managing the flow of information for 7+ storey developments between parties.
- Effectively self manage, by forward planning own workload, to provide a responsive, helpful and professional service whilst maximising time spent on site.
- Recording inspection details on the data base and communicating comments to customers.
- Carry out Initial Site Risk Assessments for high rise and/or complex projects in conjunction with MDWSS, providing appropriate communication both internal and external to ensure appropriate levels of information and risk management are achieved.
- Ongoing liaison with surveyors on technical matters – must ensure that standards are being maintained and procedures adhered to.
- Ongoing liaison with developers/clients – offer technical advice and guidance.
- Provide advice to the Major Projects National Surveying Manager on technical areas so that team members are fully informed when dealing with potential clients.
- Undertake high risk and complex work, with minimum supervision.
- Ensure inspections create a minimal claims ratio.
- Undertake any other duties as reasonably required.
Experience / Skills
- Full member of professional organisations with minimum grades accepted: MRICS / MCIOB / MCABE / MICWCI or similar.
- Relevant BC experience, plan check and site inspection and relevant warranty, quality or defect resolution experience. Extensive experience of differing construction methods, as well as experience of defect resolution issues. The candidate must have experience and understanding of high risk areas of construction, such as flat roofs, basements, cladding systems, etc.
- In depth knowledge and understanding of the Building Regulations, associated legislation and construction standards.
- Requires a good understanding of general insurance principals and terminology desirable.
- A demonstrable understanding of latent defect risk management and the methods for mitigating claims.
- Ability to undertake site inspections to assess both quality and the cause/effect of building defects.
- Commercial awareness and ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to create not only good working relationships with other construction professionals but to be able to deal effectively with members of the public.
- The ability to meet deadlines and manage own workload within agreed parameters.
- Demonstrable ability to use own initiative.
- Ability to motivate self and influence others.
- Excellent Customer Services skills and experience of Relationship Management.
- Flexible in personal approach.
- Working knowledge of MS Outlook (email), MS Word, MS Excel).
- Full UK Driving Licence.
- Ability to fulfil the mobility requirements of the RMS role, including (but not limited to) the ability to;
- Move around a site
- Climb ladders
- Work at height
- Drive reasonable distances
Proficient in English communications (written and oral).